Concert Tuning

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:07:11 -0600

>Why is it these poor-performing pianos persist in environments where it is
>obvious the funds are available for something that plays and sounds OK?

There are plenty of very good reasons. The piano makes noise, so is fine.
All the keys work, and hardly anyone out there in the pews knows the
difference. The piano was originally donated, and either the donor or
his/her descendents and all their friends are still sitting out there
watching, if not listening. Fancy architecture, new additions, remodeling
and general addition of sparklies elicit more glandular secretions, and
therefore greater collection totals than a decent new piano that doesn't
glitter in the sun for all to gaze upon and covet nearly as impressively as
does a copper roof or Carrera marble foyer. The funding of flocks of
missionaries to all parts of the planet that have tragically not had the
benefit of their shepherding these past 2.4 billion years will also
obviously take precedence over replacing a piano that already works just
fine. Besides, it's been proven many times over that you don't need quality
when you can generate a high enough volume. It's no different than the
situation in the universities where the fine arts department is a vague
rumor and their pianos mere ghosts.

But you already knew that.

I also have churches with good pianos, conscientious and organized
administration, and realistic expectations. They're wonderful to work for,
but there's not enough of them.

>Oh, and BTW, just curious, anyone care to share what they might commonly
>charge for a concert tuning - on short notice - given only a one-hour
>window of time - on a Sunday afternoon? I was just going to charge (normal
>tuning fee) X 2, but I can easily imagine justifying additional fees for
>the timing of it all, etc.

If they were good long time regular customers with no list of past
offenses, I'd split the abuse with them. Maybe time and a half and mileage
if appropriate. I'd assume they did this because of unforeseen
circumstances, rather than chronic disorganization or random idiocy, and
would notice that I didn't charge them a whopping big bill. On the other
hand, if this was an out of the blue, or someone with a history of last
minute emergencies when they have had the event scheduled for six months,
I'd charge them more like triple.

I get an occasional call from a BIG church here, only when there's a two
hour deadline emergency and they haven't arranged for their regular tuner
to take care of it (which he would do cheerfully and well if they bothered
to schedule it with him), even though it's been scheduled for months. The
last time I went to bail them out on one of these, I spent most of a half
hour in the dark waiting for someone to figure out how to keep the lights
on for more than five minutes, who then disappeared to try and find someone
who could - never to return. These days when they call, I'm sort of busy.

Ron N