Hammer Spring Rail and plastic action parts question

JAMES DALLY jdally@ecr.net
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:06:24 -0500

Re: Fwd: Smoky pianoThanks very much.  If I run across another of these =
to do I'll write you for a sketch.  Jim Dally
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Ross=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 5:35 PM
  Subject: Re: Hammer Spring Rail and plastic action parts question

  Hi Jim,
  You remove the old wire, and clean out the old glue from the slot. Now =
you have a hole to put the replacement wire in. I always had a problem =
getting the wire to lie in this slot. If the wire has broken off flush, =
I have used a Dremel tool and small bit, and it will either push tho old =
piece of wire out, or make a hole next to it.
   Drill a hole at the other end of the slot, the same size as the one =
that is already there. Feed the end of the wire down the original hole, =
along the slot and into the other hole. When you grab the end and pull, =
it lines the wire up snugly in the hole,  you clip off the end and glue =
the felt over the slots as it was. The wire stays in place, not =
depending on glue.

  Be sure to protect the coils and their alignment, using welding rod as =
mentioned below.
  If it is still unclear, I could make a drawing (simple) and scan it.
  Regards,
  John M. Ross
  Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
  jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca