Machine shop charges

Greg DesBrisay g.desbrisay@ieee.org
15 Dec 2003 01:06:12 -0800

OK, so "don't charge a lot" might have been an overstatement  78^), but
assuming there's nothing accoustically wrong with using a flat piece of
aluminum or steel, I think it's an approach that's competitive with the
other approaches suggested here recently.

Assuming that one can simply cut a sheet of 1/4-in stock to the required
shape and then drill and tap the necessary screw holes, that should
require one or two hours labor at the most (about the same amount of
time that it would take to make the parts out of plywood and then coat
with epoxy).  That would be a lot less costly than getting custom-made
castings as someone else here was exploring, and a lot more durable than
plywood.  Seems like a reasonable cost/benefit tradeoff to me!

(And yes, I have had a few things built for me at machine shops!  When
I'm not trying to figure out how to restore my piano I spend a lot of
time restoring a couple old cars of mine, so I've had machine shops
build a few special things for me (and I get a few things built for me
on the job as well).)

But, as you know, I'm a total newbie when it comes to pianos, so I'm
confused about why one would go through the trouble and expense to get a
custom-made casting (unless one wanted to keep things looking
original--which is something I can understand given my background
restoring cars!)

Cheers,

Greg