concert tuning at short notice

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:57:34 -0500

Thanks for the responses. A few comments below:

Terry Farrell

The piano was originally donated, and either the donor or=20
his/her descendents and all their friends are still sitting out there=20
watching, if not listening.
Ron N

I'll bet the piano belonged to the church, not the band. Seems like =
they, the band, should invest in a good Korg or something.=20
Alan R. Barnard

Neil Young hauls an old upright around with him, it
must be a personal preference.  If you're saying this
is the resident church piano, it's a great opportunity
to suggest upgrading.
Dave Davis

I don't know of any touring group that carts around a grand, and not =
very many that trust the local venue to have a decent grand available =
for "rock" groups.=20
John Stroup

Indeed, I should have made provided more details. The piano did not =
belong to the church, it travelled with the band. Yes, I've seen and =
heard Neil Young's old upright several times - a real gem. He has also =
done a few tours with his own S&S D.

On the other=20
hand, if this was an out of the blue, or someone with a history of last=20
minute emergencies when they have had the event scheduled for six =
months,=20
I'd charge them more like triple.
Ron N

2.5 your usual rate for Holiday plus your usual labor
rate X 2.5 for any time they have you "cooling your heals".
Don Rose

Tuning on a Sunday is automatically Double.
Concert Tuning is again Double. Short-sighted Concert Tuning w/idiots
allowing only ONE hour would be Quadruple! Add all that together and my =
fee
would be SIX times my normal rate!!!!!!!!! (and NO I'm not kidding!) =
This
sort of gig can afford that and should pay it, IMHO.
Joe Garrett

As to fees, you left out some info like: Is the church a customer? How =
did they get your name? Why the short notice? Etc.  As to charging =
extra: It seems to me that price should be negotiated before the =
work--especially if there are "extras" or extraordinary circumstances =
like this. That prevents hard feelings, arguments, and bad publicity. As =
to doing it on Sunday afternoon: That would have been a deal-buster for =
me as I will not work on Sundays and their lack of prior planning hardly =
makes this an "ox in the mire," as it were.
Alan R. Barnard

Again, sorry for lack of details. Another local tech is the regular =
tuner for this mega-church. He was "not available". The church guy =
mentioned to me that he had called a whole bunch of tuners before he got =
me to commit. So yeah, this was "out of the blue" (and into the black?). =
I think I like Joe's suggestion the best: 6X!

Your problem was with the local promoter who had the contract calling =
for a tuner for at least a couple of months and didn't bother to arrange =
it. Typically, Contemporary Christian bands are not flush with money. It =
is all tied up in equipment. Jars of Clay might be better off than most, =
but this was still the fault of the promoter, not the band.
John Stroup

My problem? What problem? This was an opportunity! No problem. I think =
the only problem that might have arisen would have been if they were not =
able to find a piano tech - then someone may have been looking for the =
one at fault. Of course I would always prefer to schedule something like =
this weeks in advance, but I don't mind last minute calls. Hey, either I =
want to do it, or I just say I can't do it. I tuned an old Acrosonic on =
Thursday - I had my first appointment scheduled for 1 PM. This lady =
calls at 10:30 AM and tells me that her piano just went out of tune this =
morning and that she was having a big Christmas party that evening =
(actually she was honest - she said she had simply forgotten). I =
happened to be at a convenient break point in the shop so I told her I =
would do it, but that I would add on for my travel time because I would =
have to make a special trip to her area. Worked for me, worked for her - =
it was another opportunity!