Key Inertia

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:14:10 -0500

Phillip,

Since acceleration is just change in velocity/time, and velocity is change in distance/time, I guess I would expect the
acceleration, velocity and distance ratios to all be the same.

As to where the square thing comes from, well I don't claim to completely understand how it's derived, and I certainly don't claim
its obvious, but the term for this type of "perceived" inertia is "reflected inertia".  If you search on that you will find all
kinds of stuff, mostly about electric motors and gear boxes.  They consistently say to divide the inertia by the square of the gear
ratio (they're usually gearing down, not up).

Here's a link full of not very comprehensible explanation:

http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/desnotes/gears/gearaccel.htm

I don't follow everything in there, but the result makes sense to me for the following reason: if the resistance at the key results
in energy in multiple moving parts, then the resistance is due to the work being done on each of those parts.  So the resistance
should break down the same as the energies.

-Mark