Carpal Tunnel problems

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:24:55 EST

In a message dated 12/16/03 4:05:06 AM, Tompiano@aol.com writes:

> She also suggested other diligent, strenuous hand movements which would
> counter the repeated movements I use during tuning. Being a professional
> musician it was easy sell for me to start practicing more.
> Tom Servinsky, RPT

Interesting.   This is the second mention of piano playing as a remedy for
hand/wrist problems from tuning.   For the first time since I began tuning, I am
NOT playing on weekend gigs.   I gave up my restaurant gig in August, and I
have since developed a problem in my right wrist.   It's not carpal tunnel, no
numbness or tingling, just pain.

This has been my busiest stretch (over 100 tunings since October) ever, so it
may just be that I'm tuning more pianos than I ever had before, and that in
itself has given me the problem that I have.   But, since reading these posts,
I'm going to try playing the piano every day.   (I've been meaning to
anyway...I feel my hands getting soft again...)

Tom Sivak
Chicago Chapter PTG