Carpal Tunnel problems (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:46:23 +0100

Terry,

I have tried this kind of goodie, but as for a nice tone in tuning,
the playing hand may be very aware of the hammer moving and hitting
the string, (because of synchronisation between the hit and the tuning
hammer feel) so I was not able to use it efficiently

Beside, I find a difference between playing firmly and playing
forcefully, indeed after too many pianos, even a cool unstressed
playing hand is tired, but the game being to try to play lower, not
stronger, I believe I protect my hand (and my ears too). To play
powerfully without hardness I use my shoulder and arms weight ,
together with a small "opening of the elbow" forwarded by a smooth
move of the wrist. Twoo fingers joined play the note, then I can have
enough force while staying very relaxed and kee that necessary feeling
flowing in...

On a hard to move piano, making a bigger use of the sustain pedal seem
to help sometime. I also use the pedal to keep the ears relaxed if the
tone get harsh to me.

Best

Isaac OLEG