1929 Wurlitzer player

Brian Doepke doepkeb@comcast.net
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:45:01 -0500

Just got done appraising the above mentioned piano ( well, it was shaped
like a piano)  The folks bought it off of EBAY.  As far as being a
musical instrument, it's junk.

I also pointed out some markings on the far end of the plate that
appeared to be welding marks.  I honestly told them that these were "red
flags" and that I needed to"proceed with caution".  I could not proceed
with any work until someone with more knowledge regarding
welding(brazing) inspected and appraised the areas.  They were ok with
that (the husband is a metallurgist...go figure!)

If the spots were welded correctly ( or brazed ...spelling?)  would the
plate be strong enough to eventually bring the pitch to a440?

There are 2 spots...both on the edge of the plate, near the rim.  Not a
strut.  One about an inch square with a tail to the edge...the other a
few inches away and more oblong shaped (about 1.5 inches)

My gut feeling is to stay away...if they want to proceed to restore this
thing.

I am looking for input.  Thanks

Brian Doepke
doepkeb@comcast.net