turning front rail pins....always a no-no?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:53:25 EST

Hi all,

I know this is a no-no for long term use, but is turning the front rail pins
likely to do any lasting damage to key mortises?  I've done it before on old
uprights where the cost of new key bushings is double the value of the piano.

I'm working on a 20 year-old Baldwin 7 footer tomorrow where there is too
much play in the bushings, yet the bushings are seem to be in good condition.
This would be a stop-gap measure until the clients are ready to spring for a new
set of key bushings, which I will try to talk them into.

Just wondering, fire extinguisher in hand

Dave Stahl