turning front rail pins....always a no-no?

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:37:24 -0600

At 07:11 12/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>You're too much Ron. I love it!
>
>IMHO, turning the front rail pins is a BS repair on a piano like this -
>even temporarily. Tell them the solution is to replace the bushings and
>let them decide the next step.
>
>If you turn them and the next player sits down and feels the excessive
>friction immediately, and a year later feels the excessive play in the
>key, it will be you that is labeled the perpetrator of this hack repair job.
>
>Terry Farrell

I agree with the sentiment, Terry, because NOBODY ever remembers that it
was agreed upon as a temporary fix.

I guess I'm a stealth hacker, though... [he says, as he dons a prototype
flamesuit]

In the middle of the semester I turned the pins on a Baldwin SD10 in a
practice room which is also used for teaching. Taking the piano out of use
for even a day does not seem to be an option around here. The instructor
thanked me for "tightening up the keys".

I'll be rebushing it between Christmas and New Years, then I can do a real
regulation with consistent results.  I'll be sniffing glue for a while
since I have a couple of sets to do at that time. (yes, hide glue)

BTW,  nicking of the pins is never a problem if you lift the felt punchings
and turn the pin where they usually are.

Conrad Hoffsommer
from close enough to the middle of nowhere to see it over the fence.