Key Inertia

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:35:29 -0500

Sarah,

If you add mass to the hammer, keep same force on key (yes, Don, it's a =
torque when you multiply it by the key radius), then the action will =
accelerate less.  That means less energy in the key and wippen (we =
didn't change their inertias).  So if we have the same total energy, =
less in the key and wippen, then MORE must have gone into the key, not =
the same amount.=20

Don,

Yes.  Mostly.  Keep in mind that angular momentum is just the integral =
of all the ((1/2)*m*v^2)'s, and angular velocity (av) is just =
velocity/radius.  Linear and rotational motion ARE related.  If you =
replace v in 1/2*m*v^2 with av*r, you get 1/2*m*r^2*av^2, which is the =
formula for rotational inertia for that bit of mass.  This does not =
contradict the fact that that bit of matter's instantaneous energy is =
1/2*m*v^2.

-Mark