Turning front rail pins...the follow-up

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:37:07 -0600

Dave:
If you're trying to bend the front pins to space the keys, it=
 does take some force.  Years ago I heated and bent my key=
 spacing tool to a letter "L" so I can put force into it more=
 easily.  If you want I'll send you a picture.
dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275

From: <Piannaman@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Turning front rail pins...the follow-up

Hi all,

Thanks again for all of the advice.  Great arguments pro and con.=
  Turns out that the keys have a little side to side play, but=
 not as much as I'd previously thought.  What it does have,=
 though, is an unevenly spaced keyboard.  Perhaps that made me=
 think the bushings were funky, and my memory, not being what it=
 once was, was faulty.

But now I'm having one helluva time trying to budge these puppies=
 with my combination handle key spacing tool.  Does anybody make=
 a combination T-handle?

Guy Nichols' tool with the T handle sounds like a great idea.

Dave Stahl