interesting subject/sound quality

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:29:28 EST

In a message dated 12/14/03 10:53:48 PM, koko99@shaw.ca writes:

> Wondering if anyone out there has been fortunate enough to have heard
> a Strad. live, and close-up, and could describe the differences in sound
> quality.

In the orchestra pit at the local theater where I used to conduct, one of the
violinists who subbed on the show had a Strad.   I was not aware that it was
a Strad and commented to him on the HUGE sound this violin put out.   Being a
small pit orchestra, 6 musicians total, it was easy to hear this vast
difference.   I couldn't comment on the tone itself.   He was an excellent violinist,
with good intonation and expressiveness.   I'm sure that part of the sound
generated by the instrument was due to his playing.   Yet, the size of the sound,
whether playing piano or fortissimo, was so different than any other violin I
ever heard.   (The regular violinist in the pit played an Amati.)

Tom Sivak