A Hitch in a hitchpin

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:24:05 -0600

Greg writes:
<<  How about vise grips on a slide hammer >>

I have wondered about that, too .  Just weld a slider to the vise-grips and
hammer it up.  I wondering if anybody had tried this, or perhaps a
gearpuller
arrangement against the plate.
 mmm.

Ed Foote RPT

Find a piece of threaded rod 12" long that will replace the adjusting knob
on a visegrip. Install a nut on the rod, thread it into the visegrip and
"adjust" for a good tight fit. Tighten the nut against the visegrip.  Slide
a weight onto the threaded rod and put 2 nuts near the end, one tightened
against the other to lock them in place. Tah Dah!...a poor man's slide
hammer.  The serations in the jaws should be sharp.  The weight can be a
short piece of 2" rod about 3-4" long.  A local machine shop will probably
have several to choose from and can drill the hole for you.

Paul C