Key Inertia

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:46:13 -0500

Hi Ric,

> > Now remove keystick mass.  Less mass means the key/action moves faster
with
> > the *same force*.  That means the hammer moves to the string faster and
> > strikes the string harder.  More energy transferred to the string for
the
> > same amount of input energy (again, equal to force times keydip).  That
> > makes it more efficient.
>
> Wait a second here.... I'll buy if this if you get past gravitional
> acceleration, but until that point, *same force* from the  finger will not
> result in the hammer moving faster...  everything will get slowed down...
finger
> including.

Add/remove equal mass on *both* sides of the balance rail, so that BW
remains the same.  Or compensate with assist springs to produce the same BW.
Or compensate for a six-fold increase in BW by flying the piano to the moon.
Or whatever...  I didn't mean to suggest changing balance weight!  I'm only
talking about changing key inertia, while keeping all other things
(including balance weight) equal.

Peace,
Sarah