Key Inertia

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:56:41 -0500

Hi Ric,

>>  So what quantity do we have that is mass times velocity.... but is
clearly differentiates between each equal product...

Well, mass times velocity is *momentum.*

>> Clearly... 2 x 2 does not equal 4 x 1..... at least in the case of  how
much mass at what speed hits any given other mass.
>> What quantity am I looking for here ?

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Kinetic energy, (mv^2)/2, perhaps
differentiates, sort of, I guess, if I understand you correctly.  Only you'd
be looking at 2 x 2^2 / 2 being different from 4 * 1^2 / 2, etc.  Is that
what you mean?

>> Well.. can see I will have to publish all the data I can get on this
action. I will be taking it apart in the next few days so I have the
opportunity to measure things for you. But as far as your last sentence
there.... Evidently our friends at Steinway have come to this conclusion as
well...  we just had a long thread on Steinways new view on friction... and
it was very much on the light side.

Cool!  It will be interesting to hear what you find!

Where can I find out more about Steinway's new views?  Which thread?  (I
don't read them all.  Only so many hours in the day!)

Peace,
Sarah

PS

>>Yes... welll... now it seems to me that I have been basically right on
target all along...except that I have been using the term inertia
erroneously

Hmmmmm....  MmmmmHmmmm...  ;-)  Physics is a bit more involved than most
people think.  Force, momentum, kinetic energy, velocity, etc. can't be
scrambled about and still make any sort of sense.  I think we could all
stand to learn more about physics, myself included.  It's fun stuff.  You'll
really enjoy it when you get into it more, especially with all the
mathematics you're studying.  Basic principles of calculus really make
physics sing!