Cockeyed hammers / Don Gilmore

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:25:57 +0100

Berhard, Don, Sarah,

Would a somewhat flexible support on the pivot side help in absorbing some
oscillation ? I’ve seen strange results when the underside of the hammer
flange is cut in an arch shape (the shape of Steinway flange).

The first idea was that it helps decoupling between hammer/shank and the
rest of the action, so the system being more free, more energy is
transmitted.

Easy experiment and immediate result – unfortunately, one can’t tighten the
flange screw with enough force (and without changing the pivot position .

I like also to understand what is the role of shank flexion in tone dynamic
(or expressiveness) seem to me that the shanks are flexing easily with the
hammer acceleration, I don’t see them like a very rigid support.
When checking for rubbing hammer tails, most shanks are flexing a little
without so much pressure on the head.

Indeed lighter hammers seem to be more responsive to acceleration, but may
be harder to control, too much “free energy” as you said Berhard, vs a
heavier hammer (or one that is glued farther on the shank ?) that send a lot
of feedback to the pianist thru action compression, then work more slowly
for tone production (may be giving more the impression of control, up to
some point nowadays)

But may be that is a totally different subject in the end …

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG