Cockeyed hammers / Don Gilmore

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:35:39 -0600

Hi guys:

Before you all get too carried away, here is some food for thought.

First of all, forget about momentum.  Momentum (and, once again, we need =
to think in terms of angular momentum) is moment of inertia x angular =
velocity and is in units of slug-ft^2/sec or kg-m^2/s.  It is really =
only useful in calculating elastic collisions between objects (like =
billiard balls, for example) that exhibit "conservation of momentum", or =
impulse calculations.  Impulse is only useful if we are worried about =
constant forces, etc.  You were all doing just fine with kinetic energy.

Since the hammer is free from any outside influence between the time it =
is released by the action and the time it strikes the string, we are =
talking about two totally independent things: how the action gets it up =
to speed and what happens when it strikes the string.

As I mentioned before, the kinetic energy of the hammer is dependent =
upon its rotational speed only since its mass does not change.  No =
matter what kind of fancy things the action is doing when it is =
accelerating the hammer, it all comes down to how fast it is going at =
the time of release.  The "die is cast" at that point and you get what =
you get.  Relating this to key force is complex, but as far as energy is =
concerned, it all boils down to the angular velocity (rpm, basically) at =
release. =20

Now, how much of this energy is transferred to the string is another =
story.  This is all decided by the geometry of the hammer, or more =
specifically, the relative positions of the center of gravity, the pivot =
point and the contact face of the hammer.  There are only two places =
that can absorb any energy at impact: at the string and at the pivot.  =
Obviously if you can reduce forces at the pivot to zero, any transfer of =
energy will be to the string(s).  As I mentioned before this would be =
the case if the strings contacted the hammer at its center of =
percussion.

Locating the center of percussion requires determining the center of =
gravity and the radius of gyration.  Measuring the c.o.g. is a piece of =
cake.  You can just balance the hammer on the edge of a ruler, then =
scoot it around a bit and balance it again.  The two lines made by the =
edge of the ruler will intersect at the center of gravity.

The radius of gyration is a little trickier.  The radius of gyration (k) =
is an imaginary distance from the pivot point to where the entire hammer =
can be considered to act if it were a point mass.  In other words, if =
all of the mass of the hammer were concentrated at a single point, k =
inches from the pivot, it would have the same rotational behavior.  It =
is calculated in a composite manner similar to figuring the moment of =
inertia...in fact it can be directly converted from the m.o.i. by =
dividing by the mass and taking the square root.

>From these two things, the center of percussion can be calculated.  It's =
just=20

q =3D k^2 / r

where q is the distance from the pivot to the c.o.p., k is the radius of =
gyration and r is the distance from the pivot to the c.o.g.

Now that you know where the point is, you can play around with the =
hammer geometry to move it to where you need it.  You can also change =
the location of the c.o.g. (and thus c.o.p.) by strategically placing =
weights, but remember that this will also increase the overall mass of =
the hammer.

Hope this helps!

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer