Touchweight was Cockeyed hammers / Don Gilmore

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:54:52 -0600

Hi Richard:

You're confusing a lot of terms.  Inertia is not a quantifiable property =
of anything, it's an effect.  It's not an adjective, it's a noun.  You =
don't add or subtract inertia from anything.  It's just a scientific =
property.  I think what you are thinking of is just mass and moment of =
inertia.  Mass is the quality of an object that causes it to resist =
being accelerated.  Moment of inertia is the "rotational" equivalent of =
mass and is the quality of a rotating object that causes it to resist =
angular acceleration (speeding up or slowing down of rpm).  The moment =
of inertial is different from mass since it takes into acount the =
distribution of matter.  In other words, the more material that is =
further from the pivot point, the harder it is to accelerate (or =
decelerate) the object.  That's why flywheels have most of their mass =
toward the outer perimeter.

Velocity is meaningless to inertia.  Only acceleration can =
produce/require a force.  Kinetic energy (mv^2 / 2) is simply a property =
of a moving object in terms of energy.  It has nothing really to do with =
inertia.  It is sort of a potential energy term and refers to how much =
energy the moving object could produce if you tried to stop it.  That's =
why we used it when the hammer struck the string.  The hammer, when =
moving, has usable energy.  To give it that energy we had to previously =
accelerate it to that speed.  To accelerate it requires force and that's =
where the properties of mass and moment of inertia come into play.  The =
more "massy" an object is, the more work you have to do and force you =
have to apply to accelerate it.

There's no free lunch in physics.  X amount of work done by your finger =
is going to produce X amount of energy in the hammer no matter what the =
mechanism looks like.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City=20