comparative labor rates ...

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:29:52 EST

In a message dated 12/20/03 7:14:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
phil@philbondi.com writes:

<< Is it fair to compare plumbing and piano work? I say yes. >>
Hey Y'all...watch my lips I am only gonna say this once! :-)
That only thing to compare between piano tuning and any other occupation is
the dollars that change hands. As for plumbers vs piano tuners...ain't nothin
to compare. The plumber has to be licensed and attend apprentice training, work
as a journeyman and then, perhaps, becomes a master plumber. A plumber's
stock in trade runs to the several thousands of dollars and he must take most of
it with him on each service call...does a tuners basic training and or
supplies/equipment cost that much??? Does a tuner need several thousands of dollars of
tools/inventory sitting in the driveway before he starts work??? Is a tuner
on call 24 hours a day..even in an emergency?  If a tuner doesn't show up for
an appointment is there a chance of 'real', as opposed to artistic, problems???

 A qualified/licensed plumber sitting in the driveway represents a
considerably higher investment than does a piano tuner (in most cases) sitting in the
driveway.....

 Stop comparing yourself with other professions and charge what you think you
are worth...if you do this then you will be happy and your customers who are
willing to meet your price will be happy....if you starve to death you are
charging too much and if your appointments are too many too book/keep you ain't
charging enough...this without respect to what a plumber makes, or a computer
repairman or...well you get the drift.

Merry Christmas!! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)