slow returning hammers

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:59:55 -0700

Hi Isaac,
I read into your post that you do not use Ballistol.
In my testing of the mineral oil I have found that it should NOT be used =
on centerpins. It is however great on leather front and balance rail =
pins that use leather for the bushing.
Using Ballistol on felt in this area swells the felt arround the pin =
causing more friction at the end of both forward and at rest positions.
Ballistol is also very good in lubricating heavy wear points like trap =
work and damper rod hinge bushings even though felt may be the bushing =
as the return spring device is much stiffer.

No one out there using Goose Juice?

Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac sur Noos=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 3:38 AM
  Subject: RE: slow returning hammers

  Protek experience : after a few weekswhere the parts seem to be free =
the sluggish hammers are totally blocked, then you have to do what was =
necessary in the first place, repin. German techs use Ballistol, some =
(cheapo's)use WD40 ( the flanges are contamined afterthat, good luck for =
repinning , changing them may be necessary)

  With humidity it is fairly possible that corrosion is installed on the =
pin, (with time also, and that the nicel plaiting is worn).
  No lube can work in this case.unfortunately.
  May be the springs are too weak to help, may be also the action =
position does not help the hammer to come back.
  As others have say you have to be sure of where the problem come from =
in the first place (and avoid also too free pinning ).

  May be ke keyboard is pushing on the whippens too much and the hammers =
have been lightened by filing, then the initially slow action became =
sluggish.

  Repinning is not that long, but all the traveling and aligning of the =
hammers afterthat turns it to a larger job that that...

  Hope that helps.

  Isaac OLEG

                         Pianotech=20
                   =20
                          Isaac OLEG
                          accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules =
Ferry
                          94400 VITRY sur SEINE =20
                          oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:=20
                                fax:=20
                                mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98
                                33 01 47 18 06 90
                                033 06 60 42 58 77 =20
                        =20
                  =20
             =20
      =20
              Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?=20
      =20
        Add me to your address book...=20