Hide glue(s) used in piano construction

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:08:02 +0100

To make it simple, bone glue, is generally ready to use, fish glue is
to be used cold for what I know (and I use it a lot) spagetthi rabbit
glue is not really a glue, more something used to prepare the surface
before further work.

Using hot "hide glue" for ribbing or any large parts gluing mean you
are able to warm the parts enough befor gluing to avoid gellying of
the glue if applied on a cold surface.

Modern adhesive are certainly more easy for soundboard work if you
don't have the good equipment.

High tech glues (ask Joe !) are often a mix of bone glue and nerve
glue I usually makes with 2 parts bone 1 part nerves.

Other tricks are useful and available uin the archives or on the net.
Check the site Dick in Germany, that is where I've find the best hide
glue these last years.

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert