Yamaha vs. Samick studio pianos

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:03:42 EST

Will,

I feel obliged to chime in on this one.  I've serviced hundreds of Kawai=20
pianos, from the cheapest to the most expensive.  I do contract work for a K=
awai=20
dealer.  While I've had a very few experiences that were less than positive,=
=20
the overwhelming majority of the pianos I've worked on have been excellent=20
instuments. =20

Yes, some of the pianos are made with less than the best materials, but=20
aren't some of the lower end Yamahas and Samicks made with particle board in=
 their=20
cases as well?  In fact, I've seen a caster fall out of the bottom of a=20
Schimmel upright--definitely not a low end piano--with a sprinkling of sawdu=
st on=20
the floor right next to it!

A Kawai UST-7 is every bit the workhorse that a P-22 is.  I've worked on the=
=20
P-22 and the UST7, and I've found them to be really durable institutional=20
pianos.  Don't know much about the new Samick studios. =20

The only Kawais I've ever heard of being sold on the net are Digital Pianos.=
 =20
I suspect some kind of shady dealer activity.  Did the piano you spoke of=20
come with a warranty, or was the warranty voided because of the way it was s=
old?

Dave Stahl