noisy grand dampers

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:51:40 -0500

Friends,

Yesterday I tuned a 1993 Kawai KG-2A grand piano, which I've been tuning
every six months since 1998.  This time the client asked if anything
could be done about the sustain noise, what I would call a type of
whoosh as the sustain pedal is depressed.  In my opinion she is talking
about the sound of the damper wires rubbing in the damper guide rail
holes, combined with the sound of the 23 trichord dampers lifting off
the strings.

I used CLP on all the guide rail bushings, and that seemed to take care
of that noise, but I think the other will not go away until the part of
the trichord dampers that goes down between the strings is trimmed away.

Is there any efficient and neat way to do this without removing the
dampers?  What procedure do I follow?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT