Salvaging a grand lid

Mike McCoy mjmccoy@usa.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:12:13 -0500

Hi Troops,

 I received a piano recently and when I unwrapped the lid it apparently
was standing on edge, hinge side, in water or at least absorbed a lot of
moisture. The panels making up the lid swelled of course, separated and
popped the veneer off from the edge in to about 8". The front lid
section is the worst and swelled enough that the veneer is not wide
enough to cover it by approx 1/4". Make sense? The rest of the lid is
great and didn't need any work at all if this had not happened.

This was supposed to be a simple bass bridge cap, hammers, clean up and
out the door job. I have my doubts I can dry this down, get some glue in
the cracks and clamp it but I think that's the first thing to try unless
you have other ideas. Removing top & bottom veneer, cutting, planing the
panels is not what I had in mind.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike McCoy RPT