downbearing direction

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:13:32 +0100

Stéphane Collin wrote:

> Hi Ric.
>
> I did your interesting experiment on a 9ft grand (thanks for sharing it).  Well, in my opinion (worth as much as ... ), the piano sounds better, I think, without the coin.

ROLF !!! I will agree about the sound, and about the idea of doing it on
an upright... but I suppose you will have to lay it on its back and
somehow get the action to work despite that in order to compare flying
pennies.

But tell me... now that you have << seen >> the force of the vibrating
sting in this perspective... what do you think... ? Can the string pull
up against the bridge pin enough over time to cause any of the problems
our origion poster queried about ? I have my own thoughts, but I'd like
to hear yours.

> But I intend to do the experiment on an upright (where the hammer strikes in the direction of the downbearing).  I just have problems balancing the coin.

Cheers and Merry Christmas !

RicB