What is Inertia

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 00:18:55 -0500

Hi all,

Sorry for the absence.  I'm back online now, just in time to wish everyone a
Merry Hannukwanzamas.

I agree with Don that we're essentially in agreement about these terms.  I
just thought it would be useful to point out that Christmas affords us a
marvelous opportunity to study the effects of inertia -- that objects at
rest have a tendancy to stay at rest until acted upon by an outside force.
The more massive the object, the greater the inertia, the greater the force
needed to set it into motion -- or halt its motion -- or change its motion.
The night before, the less massive little ones are the first and easiest to
go down, coming to rest in their beds upon merely being reminded that a much
more massive person will soon be visiting.  Very easy.  The bigger, older
folks keep on cranking well into the morning, assembling pieces of plastic
with the aid of incomplete instructions in Chinenglish.  Finally, hopefully,
they come to rest as well, but only after being worn down by the performance
of their annual herculean duty.

About 6:00 in the morning, the little folks bound out of bed and go flying
about the house, seemingly spontaneously.  (They are exhibiting considerable
kinetic energy at this point.)  They very quickly crash through the doors
where the bigger, more massive folks are at rest, and collide with them
repeatedly until they are finally -- slowly but surely -- set into a slow
motion.  At this point, something is needed to accelerate these folks even
more -- coffee -- lots of it.  Finally, with very substantial pushing,
prodding, and caffeination, the bigger, more massive people have achieved
adequate kinetic energy to face the day.

Now, the littler, less massive folks quickly demolish the wrapping paper on
their presents, but their low inertia is such that it takes very little to
slow them down.  As they rip their way through the last of their presents
and play with half of them for a few minutes, they crash, assuming the same
dormant state as they did the previous night.  Meanwhile, the larger, more
massive folks keep plodding along, full of inertia and kinetic energy,
picking up paper, stuffing trash cans, stuffing turkeys (not with paper,
hopefully), baking pies, etc.  Shortly thereafter, all the folks, both more
massive and less massive, stuff themselves with food, thereby gaining
inertia in preparation for the next year.

I hope Santa brings y'all what you wanted.  I see one of us got a table saw!
;-)

Merry Hannukwanzamas, y'all!  Don't eat too many cookies!

Peace,
Sarah