Don's "Self tuning piano"

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:03:28 -0600

>It's looking like fiberlass will work the best.  We also tried using bone,
>which works excellently (violin bridges and nuts are made from it), but it
>is nasty stuff to work with and would be difficult to keep the
>quality/integrity consistent.
>
>Any more suggestions from the group on what to use?
>
>Don A. Gilmore

Hi Don,
Have you tried a ceramic? Though I have no clear idea how the agraffes
would work. It's been a while since I read the article, and my memory is
more selective and less dependable than I'd like, but aren't you using the
plate and hitches as the electrical common and insulating at the agraffes
and V bar for individual strings, with the contact at the bottom of each
tuning pin? If I'm remembering correctly, that tuning pin contact struck me
as potentially problematic, though it may not prove to be in practice. I
thought of possibly an insulated hitch pin, vertical or with ceramic (etc)
aliquots so the agraffes and V bar could be the common, with ribbon cables
on the underside of the plate for individual string contacts. That would
also require individually tied strings, but a standard agraffe and V bar
could be used unless corrosion problems develop at the contact points.
Might well be just trading one set of concerns for another.

Ron N