Don's "Self tuning piano"

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 14:18:38 -0800

What to use for agraffes????  I still haven't figured out why we insist on
hardening the capo but make the agraffes out of soft brass.  I guess making
the agraffes out of hardened steel would be a bit hard (pun intended).

I'm a retired electro mechanical etc technician.  You know, the guys who
made the products work after the engineers screwed up the design. (G).

My BS filter went wild when I read about a self tuning piano.  Now I
understand the idea and it is clever to say the least.

I agree with Ron about using the hitch pin as the insulated point.  It might
make it harder to  mount sensors and drivers at that end.  Could you use the
agraffe ends as the common and mount the sensors and drivers there and drive
the hitch pin with the correct current?????

About the temperature maxing at 95 degrees-what if you are playing the piano
outdoors and a cloud comes up or a big fat opera singer leans against the
piano producing 98.6 degrees?  Won't your piano go out of tune?

There is one thing I would suggest.  Keep in mind that if it is simple
enough you'll find a big market in retrofits.  Unless you have this in mind
at the design stage it will be difficult to retroactively provide it.
Rebuilders would be able to include it in a job.

I understand you accuracy statement but that level isn't foolproof or
necessary.

The best

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.