Inertia and Physics.. Paul Chick

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:07:39 -0500

Hi Ric,

> We are talking
> about the opinion of a PhD (Sarah) and a mechanical engineer (Don).
> Ergo.. I ask for both to work out a formulation that clears this up. I
> cant see that that has happened.

LOL!!!  No, not *that* sort of Ph.D.!  Remember, I'm a neurobiologist!  I
had a year of physics in high school and a year in college -- and did
wonderfully in both courses -- and even remembered a bit of it into middle
age.  However, Don knows gobs more about mechanics than I ever will.

I think we're quibbling over semantics here, though.  For the sake of moving
forth with our understanding of this problem, technicalities aside, I think
we can regard "inertia" as "mass" in a translational sense and "rotational
inertia" as "rotational mass" in an angular sense.  (Don and I both,
independently, have used the latter term, BTW.)

Right, Don???

Peace,
Sarah