Key Inertia

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:49:07 +0100

Sarah, I just wanted to comment that vertical action cant give use the
expected compliance, as there is only a short moment of resistance at the
beginning of the stroke, the remaining being cause by springs at work (the
leading is often installed at the back of the keys on verticals).

But your example make sense anyway - Greetings - Isaac

   I remember visiting a friend who was interested to hear a piece I had
been working on.  I played it for her -- on her spinet.  The piano was
apparently well tuned and maintained.  But as I was trying to play the
thing, trying to eek more out of it with each crescendo -- and as the keys
were effortlessly bottoming and the piano just WOULD NOT put out anything
more -- well, there were a few colorful phrases floating around in my head
at the time to describe the fine instrument I was playing.  I'm sure the
piano would have been great for the average 4-year old, but for me, there
was a pretty awful impedance matching problem. (And yes, I realize there
were also limitations from the longitudinally challenged strings and the
short-of-stature soundboard.)