Key Leads and Inertia

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 05:47:15 +0100

hello Ed

That is exactly what I have felt as "filtering"  or "preferred
velocity modes" I've wrote about - and say they seem to me to be work
against the controllability of the action.
There is a separate kinetic energy treatment in the key that makes me
feel a key that is a little outside the whole system (a "separate
key").

Comfortable, but less manageable, tending to drive your playing in
some power level ass soon you are in the concerned acceleration zone.

That is adding a new sensation between the pianist's hand and the
piano hammer, certainly very useful to "beat daddy eight to the bar",
not convinced by other possibilities offered ...

Repetition seem to be better nowadays.

My take is that the key is bending even out of a heavy stroke, if more
mass is near the balance point it is also adding flexibility in the
last portion of the key (toward the capstan), providing more reaction
effort on the capstan - this have to be stated in more correct terms
certainly.

With the lead located farther toward the front the whole action is
acting as a spring in my view of those things,

You wrote :

> And just for fun,  If we accept that key bending is setting
 the limit on power an action is capable of, the leads in the center
of
 the key will still  be moving when the front of the key has hit the
punching.
 (if the key is  flexible enough to bend under a heavy stroke, then
the
 portion of the key near the balance point will lag behind the outer
extreme
 end,no?) .  So,  it may be that the key with the leads near the
balance point
 will function as a  mechanical capacitor, releasing energy after the
end of the
 key, (and finger)  has stopped moving.

I've also noticed, that more mass is always perceived, no matter how
it is distributed. I thought that most where agreeing that a good
standard pattern was giving us what we where after enough.

Best Regards and happy end of the year.

Isaac OLEG