Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:04:58 -0600

>Is it so that this basic geometry is relatively the same for any action
>(grands) of the same size piano? Or possibly of all (grand) pianos?
>
>Paul Chick.

Hi Paul,
Relatively, in principal. The same sort of juggling of ratios and weights
to find something that meets your requirements from what you have to work
with and available parts applies to everything, and everyone seems to have
a slightly different set of priorities and approaches. It's like scaling or
anything else. You find the particular set of cumulative compromises that
seem to you to be the best alternative under the circumstances. Or you can
design and build a whole new action for each piano with a different set of
cumulative compromises that seem to you to be the best alternative under
the circumstances. We try to get far enough into the realm of diminishing
returns that humans can't tell the difference between our intentions, and
our results. Defining our intentions to meet all user requirements is the
impossible part. The rest is just mechanics.

Ron N