Alcohol types

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:20:14 +0100

Renner Germany give me the following recipes : to obtain low friction
pinning as for hammers (3 +-1g for grand, measured with a dynamometer) they
say use 5% denatured alcohol (without need to use a special one expressed)
and 95 %water.
For pins that should be tighter as for dampers for verticals they say use 70
% alcohol and 30 % water.

The gram conditions they give are :

verticals whippen /hammer 2-5 g - dampers 5-8g - jack 2 +-1g
Grand piano :
Hammer 3 +-1g
Whippen and damper  flange 2 g (seem very low to me)
Jacks flange 3 g (1/2 +-)
rep lever 5 g +-2
articulations of damper system are 2-4 g for the 2 directions system and 2
+-1 g for the standard system.

All those numbers are available on a sketch with the orientation of the
different flange cloth joints, I'll post them if someone can remind me the
"files" link (escapes me at this moment).

What have changed my way of working the pinning is that they say it is of
the utmost importance to keep the fiber oriented in the bushing, that is how
they instruct to do the job, with a smooth needle (burnished) to reorient
the fiber the same direction as it was when the  first pin was initially
inserted.
Seem to work well enough on stability and evenness of pinning jobs I have
conducted since.

Best regards, hope that helps.

Isaac

                       PianoTech

                        Isaac OLEG
                        accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules Ferry
                        94400 VITRY sur SEINE
                        oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:
                              fax:
                              mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98
                              33 01 47 18 06 90
                              033 06 60 42 58 77

            Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?

      Add me to your address book...