Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:39:52 -0500

Robin Hufford wrote:
> John,
>      I know you attempt to approximate I here for the keystick and the result
> you arrive at here may be adequate for this yet I would suggest a fairly
> better measure for the mass moment of inertia for the keystick itself can be
> arrived at relatively easily with a little more effort.

Thanks Robin,

A drawing of this would be helpful. For now I am going to save your post
for future reference. To use this method would we have to remove any key
leads first? General speaking the center of balance of an un-leaded key
is close to the balance hole, at least on natural keys of a grand piano.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979