Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:41:30 -0500

Hi, John.

At 11:17 PM -0500 12/28/03, John Hartman wrote:
>From a tonal point of view we also don't want the hammer to deliver
>all of its energy to the string. It has to have enough energy left
>to rebound from the string.

It'll will have enough energy to rebound, alright. The energy for
that rebound is absorbed during the moment of impact in the elastic
deformation of both the hammer and the string. Each of these are
springs. The hammer crown squashes and the string gets stretched out
of the way.

>But I agree with you on the possibility that there may be a
>relationship between the string scale / strike point design and the
>mass of the hammer.

I've long felt that the best combination of hammer and string is one
where both are a well-matched set of springs. For optimal energy
transfer, each should reach its maximum displacement at the same
moment. Where the string scale enters in is in the stiffness with
which the stings greet the hammers' impact. With a hammer too hard,
it may not still be stopped by the time the string has reached its
maximum displacement. With a hammer too soft, the string will never
get properly displaced. With the hammer properly selected (and here,
weight and hardness can be independent yet complementary factors),
the action can be set-up (hung as 'twere) so that energy loss inside
the action due to action saturation can be avoided. (Energy loss due
to frictional, gravitational and inertial resistance however comes
with the territory.) In a nutshell, the action set-up starts in the
string scale AND the board design.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No, Please wait, you're all individuals" Brain Cohen, exasperated
"Yes, we're all individuals"  the throng assembled in the street
                 below his window, in unison
"I'm not..."  Lone dissenter.
     ...........Monty Python's "Life of Brian"