Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:05:05 -0500

At 11:11 PM -0600 12/28/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>No... ya think???

Nah, just repeating what's been said on this list before.

>I wasn't aware that I had a choice as to whether or not the hammer
>rebounded off of the string. Where might I buy a hammer that doesn't?

Actually John Hartman was the one who wanted to make sure that we got
the kind which did.

At 11:17 PM -0500 12/28/03, John Hartman wrote:
>From a tonal point of view we also don't want the hammer to deliver
>all of its energy to the string. It has to have enough energy left
>to rebound from the string.

What I can do for you, Ron, is to sell you a set of hammershanks
which will keep the hammers up at the string. Vintage Steinway shanks
from the classic era (when Steinways were Steinways). Some sort of
weird grease in the bushings.

Mr. Bill

"If ducks were smart enough and well-built enough, they'd be shooting
at us. It's not my fault they can't aim and shoot."
     ...........Talk Show host Rush Lamebaugh, explaining why duck
hunting is a sport, 1/12/98