Depowering a Piano

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:22:30 EST

We had a music director/pianist for a theater where I do a lot of work. As
soon as he arrived, strings were being broke on an average of 2 bass strings/per
week. It got to the point that not only were the older strings breaking, but
the new strings as well. The theater management was having a fit  because new
added costs associated with numerous string replacements. The piano was used
not only for house productions, but for many of the touring acts as well, so
depowering the piano wasn't a possibility.
By the end of his first season almost all the bass strings in the major
played keys had been spliced. Eventually we started hanging the broken strings on
his office wall with corresponding dates and copies of the invoices for the
work. Became comical after a while.
The interesting development was we noticed that the root of his problem was
his hearing. He was practically deaf and  wasn't aware of it. His pounding was
his way of turning up the volume to please his ears. His contract was not
renewed for the following year.
Tom Servinsky, RPT