OT Re: Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:00:39 -0500

At 12:32 AM -0600 12/30/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>As a matter of degree though, rather than an absolute, the rate at
>which a hammer rebounds from the string is both of considerable
>importance, and not easily defined or specified. I expect that's
>more like what John meant.

Three things make the hammer rebound: 1.) the fact that it's
nose-to-nose with the string which about to restore itself to a
nominally straight line, 2.) the fact that it's own nose has been
squashed and is eager to restore itself, and finally, 3.) gravity.
Only one of them has to do with the hammer. And the poor thing does
indeed cough up its last nanojoule of kinetic energy in coming to a
dead stop at the string.

>If not, I'll just blame everything on the casters and be done with
>it. I won't even ask why you saved a set of goo-frozen take-out
>shanks and flanges from Steinway's "golden" era - whenever that was
>presumed or proclaimed to be.

Quit hemming and hawing, Ron. You've got first option on this vintage
set of shanks before I post them on eBay, but only for another 12
hours.

Mr. Bill

"Garth, Take me!"
"Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"
     ...........Kim Bassinger and Dana Carvey in "Wayne's World 2"