Depowering a Piano

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:53:32 +0100

Hi Joe,

driving bass strings to saturation repetitively certainly should brake
them, pianists usually dont play forcefully basses  (I mean with the
same attack they can use in the middle of the piano) it is unnatural,
and difficult because of the massive parts to move

I once tuned for Helene Grimaud that was on the French radio before
her concert. she was very kind, compliment me for my work, ("wow you
are a good tuner, that is rare !" ) seem to appreciate well the piano.

She was playing Brahms at that moment - (could not stay to listen
unfortunately because of other tunings)
The studio have a very damp accoustic particularely with the audience
in.

One of the single bass strings break during the first play - The
emission people find me in the next studio  I changed it taking a
string on an older piano that was in another studio (the emission was
2 hours so no big worry, but I acted fast)- well she goes back at the
piano and broke another string 10 minuts after (I stayed listening
then)  - while she was not playing more forcefully than another, (same
process, take the string on the other piano ...)

Afterthat everyone listened , and I go very upset about the tuner that
regularely tuned the basses so low to hear them produce that wowowo he
see to like.
Anotherthing is that bass hammers where heavily lacquered, and the
tone of the basses of this Steinway D was always hard to begin with.

Nowadays I admire pianists that can stay civil under those
circonstances !

Isaac

P.S  the second bass string jumped on the knees of somebody in the
audience.
No panic movement in the hall sorry ...

Never seen that kind of things again
I've heard unison drift during the concert that broke afterthat (and
unison drift that does not broke but that is another story !)

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert
oleg-i@noos.fr
19 rue Jules Ferry