Star Tuning Tip

Bigeartb@aol.com Bigeartb@aol.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 23:30:52 EST

List:
     Lately I noticed a great deal of 'excessive play' when I placed my
tuning hammer on all....all tuning pins. I decided my #2 Star head was worn
and replaced it with a new one. Upon extreme close inspection I found two
small hair line cracks in the #2 Star head. Therefore extreme sponginess in
my tuning hammer caused me great problems.
     I only post this to let others know the Star head can break. I wondered
why in the heck it was taking me so long to 'set' the pins. In retrospect
I've decided if I can tune a Steinway D for concert with a broken Star head,
I must really be good!!!
      Spongy tuning hammer? Check the Star head.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.