Brass Action Rails

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:31:08 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2003 7:36:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> Those rails might very well last another 80 years with no problem. Or they
> might not. This is no different than deciding whether to replace that
> pinblock,or go with oversized pins - or lower the plate to get string
> bearing without worrying too much about soundboard crown, or keep the old
> wippens because they don't look that bad, or any other of the hundreds of
> decisions we make about what is likely to be adequate and what possibly may
>
> not be. Given the option, I'd prefer to replace the rails.
>
> Ron N

             I agree with this assesment and by the way of the of the dozens
of brass rails I've put back into service I can't recall one that came back
later broken Usually its' the butt plates the breaking and I've replaced
whole sets without suspecting the rails of a problem. Yes, I guess it's a
slight risk to reuse them but it seems that in the pianos with heavy wear as
you describe, and still none are broken it is entirely possible your throwing
out perfectly good equipment. Not only that but check and see if the Mason
And H guys made these rails thicker than the standard bill of fare.
  Also how much physical force is really stressing these parts. I wonder if
the fractures come by the original over tightening of the screws or
subsequent tightening of field techs that fractures the brass. Like 20's
agraffes turned in too tightly to get them seated.
       When we take in these types of jobs I'll to thru and tighten each or
see if they can be tightened with only moderate force. If they're weak
something will break and usually, not always, its the plates Then a better
assessment can be made.
   If a set of butts can readily and perfectly be adapted to the original
geometry it's an elementary to attach them and be done with it