The perfect Bump

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:30:16 +0100

Hi folks

I found the neatest trick for regulating the height of the repetition
lever today. No doubt this is not new for some of you, but I have never
heard this one before. In anycase it results in the most even aftertouch
I have ever had.

The key to it is that when letoff and drop are set correct then a
incorrect repetition lever height will result in these two adjustments
not engaging at exactly the same time. So.... rough in pretty cleanly
letoff and drop, and then bring the hammers up and out of the way so you
can look directly down at the top of the jack and repetition lever. If
the key hasnt brought the whippen up firm against the drop screw then
put a key lead or some other weight so that it does. Then very slightly
press the key front downwards while watching the jacks behaviour in the
repetition lever sleve. There should be no lost motion at all. Or just a
knats whiskers perhaps. You should be able to see that the jack just
barely pushes upwards ( and I mean barely !) and nearly immediatly
begins to push away from its rest position.

Then go back and fine regulate let off and drop followed by a repeat run
through of the repetion lever height as described above. Two, max three
passes will be enough. The result is a dead on even aftertouch feel.

Hammer rest height, jack to knuckle position, and key dip  all must be
set prior to this of course.

Try it... you like it.

Cheers

RicB