Temperaments & Wound Strings

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:56:25 -0800

A4 is wound?  I assume you mean A3 is wound.  Using a Verituner, as of =
late, this is not a problem.  When I tuned aurally, I would tune first =
the double octave, A2, A3, A4 so that I like how they sounded.  Then I =
would fill in with a series of contiguous thirds at 4:5 ratio until a =
got a nice progression through the two octaves.  Then I would fill in =
the rest.  It works fairly well and the narrower double octave that the =
scale on these types of pianos dictates makes the progression through =
the transition smoother.  I admit that recently on such pianos I am =
inclined to use a well temperament.  A fairly mild one such as Wendell =
light, Coleman 11 or the Moore.  It seems to help these types of pianos. =
 Then, of course, the ET system I suggested above is out the window.  =
The Verituner makes all of this very easy no matter which way you decide =
to go.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: tune4u@earthlink.net=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 18, 2003 4:17 PM
  Subject: Temperaments & Wound Strings

  Here's a general interest question.

  If you use an F-F temperament (probably most of us) as opposed to, =
say, the A-A small European, you run into many pianos with wound strings =
in your temperament.

  I just tune them as if they were not, going for the same mid-piano =
5ths and even-progressing 3rds, etc., as usual.

  But then I tune this Winter & Co. spinet excuse-the-expression piano =
where five of the temperament notes are wound bichords and three of them =
are on the bass bridge.

  I think I make a good temperament on this piano but just got to =
wondering how you much-experienced folks, both aural and ETD, handle =
this situation.  Comments please.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, MO

  P.S. Would it make sense to learn and practice an A-A temperament just =
for such pianos? (Although in this case even A4 is a wound string!)