close enough>??

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:12:54 -0800

 [Original Message]
> From: SUSAN P SWEARINGEN <ssclabr8@flash.net>
> Date: 1/23/2003 6:51:59 PM
> Subject: Re: close enough>??
>
> Could those of you that tune unisons as you go explain your procedure?  I
> use a Verituner and use the following method.

I also use a Verituner and my procedure varies somewhat from piano to
piano, but I always tune unisons as I go.

If the pitch is off I will do a coarse pass which will give me measurements
on every note.  In the coarse mode it doesn't really matter what your
pattern is because the targets don't lock until you get to fine mode.  But
I generally start by measuring A4, A3, (fill the measure full on these two)
A2, A1, A5, A6.  If they are far enough off to need a coarse pass then I
start at A0, set the offset and tune from bottom to top, center string
first, and pull in the unisons as I go.  Remember to change the offset for
different sections.   If they are close enough not to need a coarse pass,
then I will measure the notes from A0 to C7, one string each note.  I try
to fill the meter at least half way, but I don't linger too long.  The
whole sweep takes about 5 minutes.  I then switch to fine mode and start at
A4, tune the center string and pull in the unisons.  Then I tune down
chromatically using two mutes (on a grand).  Tune the center string, move
the left mute, tune the left string, move the right mute tune the right
string, go to the next note all the way to the bottom.  Then I go back to
A#4 and tune to the top reversing the procedure: tune the center string,
move the right mute, tune the right string, move the left mute tune the
left string and then you are ready to tune the next center string.  I
quickly check octaves going down and octaves going up mainly to be sure
they sound clean.

On an upright the procedure is slightly different because I use a split
mute.  Tuning down I tune the center string, move the mute down one, tune
the right string.  Then tune the center string of the next note down, move
the mute down again, tune the right string of the note just tuned followed
by the left string of the previous note and so on.  This allows for the
least amount of handling of the mute.

When I am done I go through again to check accuracy and stability of the
unisons.  I keep the machine on so that it follows me as I check and I can
see if anything has moved too much.  Remember that a three string unison
will measure slightly flatter than a single string.  You will get used to
how much drift in the measurement is tolerable by checking periodically
against a single string.

This is my basic procedure though I admit to varying it slightly from time
to time for the hell of it.  I always, however, tune the A4-A3 octave first
as this particular machine bases its scale on that octave.

I find that tuning unisons as you go offers a more stable tuning and allows
you the opportunity to hear the unisons a few times as you check octaves
going up and down.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net