Yow-Yowing strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:35:54 -0600

>I've considered looking into the possibility of taking a Bass Core wire and
>having it plated to the approximate diameter of ideal. Then, swagging it to
>the exact diameter of the calculated  ideal diameter.

Plated with what - copper, I presume?

>I wonder if the tonal
>response of this type of string would be better or worse than a "wound"
>string.

A soft hammered, copper bar xylophone with the ends of the bar tied to
relatively solid terminations would likely produce a lovely "pfud". I
expect it would be tough to voice the transition to the plain wire.

>After all, the process of winding strings is several centuries olde
>and you'd think we could come up with something a little less problematic,
>in this advanced technology age we live in.
>Just a thought. <G>
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

But Joe, every time someone tries something that cures or corrects one of
the annoying sounds that makes a piano a piano, then it isn't a piano
anymore and nobody wants it.

Ron N