Mystery piano research

Arlie Rauch adarpub@midrivers.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:23:13 -0700

I've finally undertaken the five foot one inch grand project that is in
the shop.  After some inspection, I located the serial number stamped
into the keybed in such a fashion that it can hardly be read, but it is
something like 51xxx.

In this piano the una corda pedal moves the keyboard to the left, and
the middle pedal raises the bass dampers all together.

The bass has 10 notes with 1 wound string each, 8 notes with 2 wound
strings each, and 10 notes with 3 wound strings each of which the
strings for six notes cross the treble bridge (are above the break).

The string scale, if my micrometer measurements are correct, is:  8 at
13, 10 at 14, 6 at 15, 12 at 16, 12 at 16.5, 6 at 17.5, and 6 at 19.  I
took measurements to compare it to the Klepac Chart, and there is a fair
amount of deviation.

In John W. Travis' book, A Guide to Restringing, the only scale listed
that comes close is for the Hallet and Davis Grand.  If the piano is a
Hallet and Davis, it was built in 1902.

I am wondering whether anyone on the list has a better suggestion for
the brand of piano.  And I am wondering whether anyone on the list has
experience with and/or information regarding Hallet and Davis (other
than what is in the Pierce PIano Atlas).

Actually, if someone is confident that this is not a Hallet and Davis,
that would also be helpful.

Arlie Rauch
Glendive, MT