Practical Approaches was RE: This Needs A DefinitiveSettlementwas RE: 12 cents

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:03:56 -0500

I suspect this experience is more noticeable since the invention of
accurate ETDs. Minor movements are probably less noticed by purely
tuners aural unless they are AWEFULLY good at hearing subtleties.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 6:57 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Practical Approaches was RE: This Needs A
DefinitiveSettlementwas RE: 12 cents

Likewise, but(t)...
Have you ever had the first string you tuned drop suddenly as you were
tuning the second or third to it, even after pounding the first string
into
what should have been adequate submission? Where did the pitch drop come

from? There are only three remotely rational possibilities I can think
of.
One is from the back scale, which I consider most likely in spite of the

pounding. Second is from the coil, which, interestingly enough, will
often
entertain you with a dramatic pitch drop if you tap on it a bit, but
normally won't if you don't. Third is a highly localized structural
failure
affecting only one string.
HYPERLINK "https://www.moypiano.com/resources/#archives"
Ah... an interesting change of directions to this thread.  And I assume
we are not refering to the string coupling phenomena which I think
several of us find reason to question to some degree anyways. I've been
increasingly scratching my head about how the three strings of a unision
affect each other while under adjustment.
I know this sound totally out of there... but I just keep getting the
feeling that they somehow affect each other right at the bridge... but
perhaps its just really the backscale. Whether its my own tuning
technique or whatever... it seems that after tuning the center string,
if I tune the left string... the center string drops...if it moves at
all,  but if tune the right string the center rises or stays the same. I
dont really have any explaination for this and it strikes me as very
curious. I've checked this with both my ETD's as well... same pattern.
I've tried tuning the right string first, then the center and then the
left... but both seem to pull the right string downwards and it ends up
costing too much time.... same thing in reverse if I tune the left
string first.
I know others report that they dont get this kind of thing to happen at
all, so perhaps it has something to do with tuning hammer technique as
well ?
RicB

--
Richard Brekne