Practical Approaches was RE: This Needs A Definitive Settlement was RE: 1...

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:35:54 -0500

>Ron,
>
>Thanks for the example.  That I can grasp easily enough.  I see(hear) it
>all the time in new pianos that I tune.  I often pound my way through the
>treble chromatically all the way up to C-88, BEFORE I actually start a
>pitch raise.  When I finally start with the tuning hammer, the pitch is
>more representative of the actual tension of the string throughout it's
>speaking and non-speaking lengths.
>
>Dave Stahl

Dave,
Exactly. I see, or rather hear this mostly on new pianos too. The thing is
that while it may not happen as immediately and as dramatically on older
pianos where, because of wear and corrosion, the friction is higher at the
bridge pins, the string will still creep across the bridge over a period of
hours, days, or weeks. That's why it ideally would be better to wait a week
after a pitch raise to fine tune. In the real world, with real customers,
as Greg pointed out, most of us aren't indulged by our customers to that
degree and make do with a pitch raise and tune in one sitting - or too
often in one pass.

Ron N