Trichords on a Spin-it<G>

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:19:27 -0800

In my opinion, I like the sound of plain strings over wound strings down
to, say, about a#2 or b2.  From there to about F2 or so, I could go
either way for sound preference, below which I prefer wounds.  There are
exceptions though... I have heard good sounding pianos with wound strings
as high as D3.

What's your opinion on what the scale looks like on this piano?
http://pianoplayer.hey.nu/pianopics/Ricca-inside.jpg  Unfortunately, I
don't have appropriate audio samples to post at this time.  That's my
piano, but I'm getting ready to start looking for another one of similar
or larger size.  I'd prefer one with plain trichords down to at least B2
or A#2 or A2, (mine goes down to C3) and it doesn't matter if it has
wound trichords or not, but it would be greatly prefered (required at
least down to F2 if the plain trichords go down only to A#2), also I
would prefer one with bichords going down to at least G1 or F#1.  Also, I
would prefer no wound strings in the tenor, unless the break is fairly
low, for example E2/F2, then 4 or 5 (or maybe 6) trichord unisons (but no
tenor bichords) would be acceptable for me.  Oh, another thing, I prefer
not to have a hockey-stick plain wire tenor end of the bridge.  I would
think this means I would be looking at least at a 57" or taller upright.
(Mine is 56".)  One example of a scale I would consider would be like in
Chickering 67BB uprights (but with no wound strings in the tenor, and
also having the piano somewhat taller to accomodate longer low tenor
strings, and a bit wider to accomodate longer bass strings).  (a few
examples of scales I might consider, assuming piano is in good condition,
of a good design, and does not have wound strings in the tenor or a
hockey stick brdige), would be at
http://pianoplayer.hey.nu/pianoscales01/